Staging a House For Sale
Let’s Talk! If you are considering selling a house in Snohomish County or surrounding areas call The Diemert Properties Group of Keller Williams NWRE, LLC at 425-308-6641 or use our home value estimator now.
What is Staging?
When you get ready to place your house on the market for sale it becomes a product. Similar to a product on the shelf at a store, the product has features and benefits as well as pluses and minuses. It also faces competition with similar products. To compete with the competition in the marketplace, you must be priced right and look better than the other products. Your home is no different. Adding cost-effective amenities and improving the general cleanliness and condition of the home is what we call “staging”.
The Diemert Properties Group has over 13 years of experience and as a service to you, we can consult with you and provide you with a “to do” list. We will tour your home with a buyer’s eye and make recommendations to you to help your home look its best and stand out from the competition. We can discuss areas within the home and outside the home, we can give a recommendation of paint colors, and items that need to be repaired or replaced, and finally a discussion of any items that need to be brought in for maximum impact.
Should you want professional home staging services, we have highly experienced and effective home staging companies to recommend. We also have a professional photographer who makes your home look amazing in all of our marketing pieces. You can make a first impression only once!
What Can Be Changed?
Amenities and condition are the only two reasonable changes to make your home worth its highest and best price. Fixing a broken railing or fence would make your house more appealing to the buyer. You can change the size of your home although it most likely would not be cost effective. The one thing you can not change is the location of your home. Did you know well-placed furniture can open up rooms and make them seem larger than they are? Or that opening drapes and blinds and turning on all lights make a room seem bright and cheery? Those simple changes can make a big difference!
Three Things to Remember When Staging a House For Sale.
1. You do not get a second chance to make a first impression.
2. A review of over 2,800 properties in 8 cities found that staged homes, on average, sold in half the time that non-staged homes did.
3. Most buyers make decisions about the property they see within the first 15 seconds of entering a home.
Remember the 60-second rule: That’s all the time you have to create a winning first impression. Here are some simple to significant ways to maximize your home’s appeal:
- Keep the grass cut and remove all yard clutter.
- Weed and apply fresh mulch to flower beds.
- Apply fresh paint to wooden fences.
- Tighten and clean all door handles.
- Clean windows inside and out.
- Power wash home’s exterior.
- Ensure all gutters and downspouts are firmly attached and functioning.
- Paint the front door.
- Buy a new welcome mat.
- Place potted flowers near the front door.
- Evaluate the furniture in each room and remove anything that interrupts “the flow” or makes the room appear smaller. Consider renting a storage unit to move items off-site.
- Clean and organize cabinets, closets, and bookshelves.
- Clean all light fixtures and ceiling fans.
- Shampoo carpets.
- Remove excessive wall hangings and knick-knacks.
- Repair all plumbing leaks, including faucets and drain traps.
- Make minor repairs (torn screens, sticking doors, cracked caulking).
- Clean or paint walls and ceilings.
- Replace worn cabinet and door knobs.
- Fix or replace discolored grout.
- Replace broken tiles.
- Replace worn countertops.
Special details for showings:
- Turn on all the lights.
- Open all drapes and shutters in the daytime.
- Keep pets secured outdoors.
- Buy new towels for bathrooms.
- Buy new bedding for bedrooms.
- Replace old lamps or lampshades.
- Play quiet background music.
- Light the fireplace or clean out the ashes and light a candelabrum.
- Infuse home with a comforting scent, such as apple spice or vanilla.
- Set the dining room table for a fancy dinner party.
- Vacate the property while it is being shown.
If you are considering selling a house in Snohomish County or surrounding areas, Call The Diemert Properties Group of Keller Williams NWRE, LLC at 425-308-6641 or use our home value estimator now. Also, “like” us on Facebook for daily tips on selling and buying a home!